It was 1852 when the first lighthouse at Gorleston was built at the end of the South Pier, and it was an octagonal brick structure. Today, volunteers from the National Coastwatch Institution can be found working out of the building that sits at the very end of the pier. The Great Yarmouth Port Authority operates a light that is mounted on the roof in conjunction with the harbour control lights.
Great Yarmouth is home to the Range Rear Lighthouse, which can be found at Brush Bend, not far from the mouth of the River Yare. It was built in 1878 and powered by mains gas until it was restored in 1957. It is one of the oldest buildings in the city.
Backlighting at the Gorleston Range Lighthouse
Date of establishment: 1878
The tower stands at a height of 21 metres.
Elevation: 20 metres
F WR, the Character
Range: 6 miles